Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Customer Service...What does it mean to YOU?

I love this video of Ross Shafer's and have used it often in training. I am about to use it again, but this time I got to thinking..."why in the world don't we make our own?" (No offense Ross!)

This little dealership I work for is awesome. We do all the right things. We're nice, we're friendly, we like you. Or do we? Well, yes indeed we like you, but do we like you the way you want us to?

Put your consumer hat on for a minute and think of two things. 1) the worst buying experience you ever had. 2) the best buying experience you ever had. Ahh...the stories, right?

But is it always about worst and best? Is there more to it? Is it that a "person" was responsible for the worst or best experience, or was it the entire company? People come and go. Companies hang around. So, now I wonder if every time I go to my dry cleaners will I always get amazing service? Or is only that when I go, I'm always helped by the owner's wife? Is it because we're about the same age, have kids the same age, she's just really a nice person? What happens when she goes on vacation? Will the dry cleaner sitter be my age, be nice, know my name, let me pick up today and pay next time? Does my dry cleaner have a Customer Service Statement? Customer Service Philosophy? Customer Service Promise? Customer Service Procedure? And if they do, are all the employees trained in how to deliver it?

If you, the consumer wanted to help me make a video about customer service for our little company, what would you want to see in it? I think a lot of companies assume they have great customer service because they are really happy about adding you to their data base and to their bottom line. Being happy promotes great service, right? (Yes, that would be sarcasm dripping from my words...)

Customer Service is my passion. I don't know why...it just is. My family thinks I'm nuts, because I really don't mind if a customer yells at me. Really, I DON'T MIND. It means my customer is passionate, too. Passionate about the way he wants to be treated. As a consumer, I happen to be every company's worst nightmare. I'm the consumer that quietly walks out, and never tells the company why. No second chance, no letter of complaint. I just take my money somewhere else. So, when a customer is unhappy and wants to talk to me, I can't wait! That means we can fix it, because WE FIX PROBLEMS HERE. I get to be the VP of Yes where I work. It means that he just might give us a second chance. It means that he's about to give our company very valuable feedback, and I just want to hug him for it. I get to say thank you for telling us what's broken. Thank goodness he's not like me!

I think Ross is saying more in his video than just a lovely story about Maria....I think he says the company she works for promotes great customer service, because they promoted an employee that gives it. When you're the customer, what do you want from the company? I'd love to know! I'll even put your name in the credits when I make our own company video. I'm thinking the title might look something like this..."Customer Service, the OC Auto Team way, as presented by our Customers".

I'm hoping for tons of feedback, please share...don't be me!! Lynda Nelson, Director Customer Affairs (aka VP of YES!) OC Auto Team lnelson@ocmazda.com lnelson@ochyundai.com http://www.ocmazda.com